Friday, December 14, 2007

Black is the New Black Part One


It's a mystery as to why, but there are so many wonderful bands with 'Black' in their name. So much so that there is obviously space for several more blog posts of the same theme, without the apparent need to repeat samples of the same band.

I first came across Black Nielson in the first weeks of uni, back in 2005. I was given a copy of their album 'Current Sunlight' to review. I remember listening to it, and loving the tinny, sodden, delicate feel of the album. I then logged on to the internet to find out about them, to discover they had broken up the day before. Lame.

In absence of an MP3 for them, here's the videoclip for their best song, 'Love Song to Chan Marshall' (aka Cat Power). It is a fittingly understated tribute to the singer I adore so dearly.



Getting more current meanwhile. My mate Richy introduced me to The Black Kids. They're from Jacksonville, Florida. Their entire EP is available on their website, but here's my favourite song from it.

I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You- The Black Kids

It should also be noted that one of the band's members is called Reggie Youngblood, which is the most indie-rock name ever.

The Black Kids' Website

Happy listening.

2 comments:

Dman said...

I like what I'm hearing! As much as I love both, music significantly sexier than politics, so it's good to see you back in the fold :)

DollHouse said...

I went to Doll House and had the worst experience of my life. I ordered a dress 3 months before my formal and it didn’t come in. she told me the dress was customized but was told a week before my formal that they could not do it and was told to chose another dress from the shop which upset me as I had my heart set on the dress I ordered. Thank you Doll House for destroying my only formal it was the worst time