Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sad Songs


I am at a loss to describe what actually links these two songs, other than the fact that I listen to both of them quite often, and that they are both sad in their own separate ways.

'Road To Peace' is a perhaps the best informed "protest" songs around. It portrays a prosaic and detail-heavy series of events in Israel/Palestine, the underlying theme being the futile cycle of violence. All to gritty bar-blues. The highlight of his latest 3CD album.

Road To Peace- Tom Waits

Tom Waits' website

The next song is as tender as the above song is rough. While 'Road to Peace' is sung by a disconnected narrator, 'Lonesome Valley' is a personal song. The instruments are undistorted and restrained, and the tone is rather melancholy. It harks back to Harvest-era Neil Young, only a bit more pastoral.

Lonesome Valley- Magnolia Electric Company

Magnolia Electric Company's website.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the lyrics for this. If you are looking for other awesome songs you have to check out The Kin . Now is your chance to get acquainted with the mellow, soul-soothing sound of these sultry brothers at woozyfly -get a front row experience from the comfort of your own home
www.woozyfly. com/thekin

Arielle said...

Hey, there’s a really awesome performance coming up. The Kin are going to be streaming a live show from Sydney exclusively on Woozyfly.com. It’s definitely worth checking out. The show is at 3:00pm if you’re around Sydney (or 1AM, EST).

DollHouse said...

I went to Doll House and had the worst experience of my life. I ordered a dress 3 months before my formal and it didn’t come in. she told me the dress was customized but was told a week before my formal that they could not do it and was told to chose another dress from the shop which upset me as I had my heart set on the dress I ordered. Thank you Doll House for destroying my only formal it was the worst time