Sunday, December 16, 2007

Bodies of Water


It's always frustrating when a band lacks the ability to define themselves. Usually it is because they don't want to draw attention to the fact they just make bad Kid A era Radiohead impersonations. LA-based Bodies of Water fortunately don't sound like Radiohead, but they do have trouble defining themselves. This grab from their website sums it up:

"They draw from a number of disparate traditions, combining the metaphysical intensity of gospel, the primitive gusto of punk rock, the earnest idiosyncracy of american folk, the sonic inclusiveness of tropicalia, the planned jamming of prog, and the sincere melodrama of musical theatre."

As it turns out, they don't really have any connection with any of those genres, save perhaps folk. But their vagueness in developing songs shows through in tracks from their well-titled album 'Ears Will Pop and Eyes Will Blink'. Rather than coherent and defined tunes, with set verses and choruses, the songs seem to go from one movement to another. Strangely, the music is downbeat enough not to seem thoroughly pretentious. The track 'I guess I'll forget the sound, I guess, I guess' is actually a gem. At first it seems indeterminate, but three minutes and twelve seconds in, it makes it all worthwhile. 'Doves Circle The Skies' is more set in its ways, and requires less patience. Good tracks, though.

I Guess I'll Forget The Sound, I Guess, I Guess- Bodies of Water

Doves Circle The Skies- Bodies of Water

Happy listening.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just when you thought there were no other cool sites to find new artists - -- check this one out = woozyfly. com/thekin I saw that they are playing here live! I love technology!

Arielle said...

Hey, there’s a really awesome performance coming up. The Kin are going to be streaming a live show from Sydney exclusively on Woozyfly.com. It’s definitely worth checking out. The show is at 3:00pm if you’re around Sydney (or 1AM, EST).

DollHouse said...

I went into Doll House for a Sherri Hill dress and I had the worst time. The staff was rude and no help to me they made me feel as if I didn’t belong into their store. I well never return there and I am glad I didn’t purchase my dress from that store.